I’m going to give a very basic tip today… How to format your ms.
Think I’m crazy to post this??? Well, would you believe that 95% of all ms received are immediately rejected b/c of…FORMATTING! Wow! Now mind you, this is the most basic formatting. You should ALWAYS check up on the publishing houses website and see if their protocol matches.
- 1″ Margins for all four sides.
- Top left corner on first page put:
- Phone Number
- word count
- 2nd page and on you use a header and put:
- your last name, (title or partial title if title is long) goes on the left hand side.
- then move over to the right hand side and put page number
- Going back to first page now… skip down to about the middle of the page and type title.
- Skip 3 to 4 lines and begin your story
- indent the beginning of each paragraph
- double space (which means skip every other line)
Now this is standard. I know some publishers are different. So as I stated above, look at the publishers web site. And for pete’s sake, if they tell you to do something else, FOLLOW THEIR RULES. Don’t tell them, well Tracey said…… hahahahahahahaaaaa. But seriously. It goes back to what I’ve been saying about researching your publishers.
By doing all this, you increase your chances of publication. You still have to write a fabulous story. haha. But with that fabulous story, an editor wants to make sure that you can follow directions.