As a writer, I know you have heard this…
“You need to have a platform.”
But what is a platform? How do I get one? What do I do with it?
Well, I attended Katie Davis‘ Lunch ‘n Learn yesterday and she broke it down so even I understood it…
“Platform equals Communication with Transparency.
Communication equals Loyalty.
Loyalty equals Fans. “
Wow! Thanks Katie!!! I think as writers we have to come across to our audience as real as possible. Yes, we are human… We make mistakes, we hurt, we laugh, we cry, we want to throw our hands up and go screaming down the street! But we have a lot to offer to… advice, tips, and a shoulder to lean on. 🙂
In a way I think illustrators have an easier job. They have drawings and illustrations that people can see. This helps build their platform.
So let’s think about: Comedians. They have “a look” and “a style” they use. Actors. The have a “genre” they are famous for and while their “look” may change, you know it’s them. How can we incorporate that into our platform?
- Blog about your experience. NO TWO PEOPLE ARE THE SAME. Tell us how you see it.
- Social Media. I am spread out across the internet. FaceBook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+. Get yourself out there.
- Website. Yes, I had one BEFORE I was published. Agents and Editors will go looking for you. People who like you will hopefully give you some “LINKY LOVE” when they talk about you.
- Videos… I am working on videoing my children’s book reviews. You can give presentations, how-tos, etc. Videos get more exposure on searches too! Videos don’t have to feature you either. If you are camera shy you can always video a powerpoint. No you to see. 😉
- Reviews… Books, people, web sites… Tie it in to you!
All this will give you a platform. IE: SOMETHING TO STAND FOR!
You know like Super Man…
EVERYONE knows he stands for Truth & Justice.
LET ME KNOW how you are building your platform! Or how you plan on building it.
~LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW~
ps- Don’t forget to “LIKE” this post if you found it useful and please feel free to “SHARE” it on your Social Media. THANKS BUNCHES!