Welcome to my:
SCHOOL TIME + AUTHOR TIME = LEARNING STUDENTS
block of blog posts. Today I’m covering the author side.
WHY should you have a website???
HAVE A WEBSITE!
Here is a very good reason to have one, even if it is just one page. A (principal, media specialist, pta member, etc) will definitely search for you on the internet.
By having a website, you ensure the information out there on you is accurate. You can also control what they see and what you promote.
WHAT SHOULD YOU INCLUDE ON YOUR WEBSITE?
Honestly, any and all information you need to encourage people to buy your books, invite you to their school, use your services, etc.
While you might not have all those categories, and might have others, be straight forward with your information. Be honest and up front. People like to have their information where they can processes it easily. They also like to feel as if they know you. Make it easy and simple.
Here is my website link:
When you click over you will go directly to my landing page. On my landing page I’ve included several things:
- Welcome Video – This allows people to see and hear you. Body language is wonderful. You don’t have to guess if I’m joking or being sarcastic. You can see it. It also lets your personality begin to shine through. That builds on people getting to know you.
- Latest Book Release – Let you newest baby have the spotlight for a while.
- What I’m Available for – Here I already begin marketing and promoting my author visits, books signings, and guest speaker invites.
- Social Media Links – Contact is key! I include links to my Social Media on EVERY PAGE. The more they see you, the more they get to know you, the more they trust you as an expert in the field.
Pages I included and why are:
- about me – Here I let people get to know me a little more. I share a some background information, as well as how I began to write professionally.
- books – I have the cover art for each book that has been authored and/or illustrated by me. When they click on the cover art, it will take them to a paged dedicated to that book.
- for teachers/parents – I have pdf downloads here. Everyone loves freebies. I have included coloring pages and activities that coincide with my books. I’ll be adding Teacher Guides (ever so important with Common Core) and word searches too.
- author visits – On this page I have a few pdfs and information about what author visits I offers. I also include my fees here. Not everyone does, but I don’t mind people knowing what I charge. I live in a rural community and charge accordingly. I also have links that include fund-raising opportunities (Title I Monies can go towards AUTHOR VISITS, did you know that?) and my CALENDAR OF EVENTS so they can see my schedule.
- contact – I include how to get in touch with me. Which is AWESOME when you get fan mail. 🙂 I also have links for my newsletter and book launch teams here too.
- services – On this page I’m advertising for myself. I offer platform building consultant services as well as a pb critique service.
- blog – Well, you are here. 😉 I have a link on my website too.
- reviews – I also have a pb review blog, which is under a major renovation right now. The link up there will take you to the older one, for now.
Your website may or may not have all those elements, but that is why you are unique and what you offer is a one-of-a-kind deal!
The key is getting your name out there where you can be found and have your information correct. Build that trust and help promote literacy.
:::LEAVE ME A COMMENT:::
Let me know what you think about my website. What do you include in yours? What information do you think is most important to include on a website?
Til next time…
*Don’t forget to sign up for updates of this blog. —>
**If you found this post helpful, feel free to LIKE, SHARE, REPOST! Easy, peasy buttons are below.